Friday 6 April 2012

Puzzlebook - Review

I have a review of something a bit different for you all today. A huge book worm you won't often find me doing anything else on my Kindle other than reading a book. But when I heard about Puzzlebook's on your Kindle I had to take a look.

Summary courtesy of Amazon This is Volume 2 of the Top Rated Puzzlebook series from America. In this brand-new puzzle collection you will find 101 pictorial, hand-crafted puzzle quizzes.
My puzzle book of choice was 101 Puzzle Quizzes by The Grabarchuck Family, an interactive puzzle book in colour, with you guessed it, 101 different puzzles. This delightful collection of brain teasers gets you to use your visual, spacial, counting, geometry and searching skills to solve the puzzles that get gradually harder.

Some of you might have noticed the catch already, I am the proud owner of the keyboard-less kindle which is in black and white, not the best for playing colour interactive puzzle books! The interface can also be a little be difficult to use on the actual Kindle device, with me taking a while to realise using the usual page turning buttons on the side of the Kindle taking you to the next puzzle, or answer depending where you are located. The puzzles lead you back and forward throughout the 'book' (a term than I use very loosely) as you follow links to the next puzzle. Navigating using the 5 way controller and the back button is possible, but my no means easy.

My recommendation instead is to download the Kindle app for your computer! Free to download and super easy to use it brings this puzzlebook to life. When I first got this set up on my little notebook whilst sat in the living room at home, the whole family had to get involved in every puzzle resulting in a lot of finger counting, voting and 'YEESSSS' 'Oh yeahs' and 'DOH's' at the outcomes.

Despite some logistical problems navigating back and forward between the puzzles, once you have got the hang of the controls (probably a lot quicker than me) this is a great bit of fun to kill some time. Taking a long train or car journey with some restless passengers? I think this has some great potential to make the time whiz by!

And with a wet Easter weekend forecast this might be a great way to spend some time with the family, and not just the kids (my brother of 19 even seemed to enjoy it!). There is also a special edition 20 Easter Puzzle Quizzes priced at only 77p great for some rainy day fun.

I rate it 7/10!

You can pick up your copy of 101 Puzzle Quizzes from Amazon for just £1.94.

Don't have a copy of the PC Kindle app, you can download it for free here, and for Mac here.

Happy Puzzling,

Love Rie x

This book was kindly gifted to me for review consideration, but all opinions are as always my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment