Thursday 8 December 2011

Kindle All-Stars Presents: Resistance Front



I recently managed to get my hands on a really exciting Kindle book, Resistance Front a little early so I could pre-read and let you all know what I think. 

A creation by Bernard J. Schaffer, Resistance Front is a collection of sci-fi, fiction, fantasy, horror short stories (which he calls "speculative fiction" a term I was unfamiliar with before) all by independent authors. You can find out more on the collections website.

I came across this book relatively blind to its motives and tone but I am so glad I got the chance to tell you guys how great it is! 

Released today this book is a great price at just 86p, with all profits going to the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children. 

As you will know I love anything fantasy-fiction and this collection has really opened my eyes up to a host of other authors to look out for. So rather than giving you a very long a tedious intro to all the stories I will point out some of the ones to look out for.

The ones I enjoyed reading the most:
  • Color Forest by Robin Reed
    I think this has to be my favourite story in the collection. I have never read anything like this before, and it can be best described as a utopian/dystopian fictional tale of a color changing forest. It may not be the most dramatic or action packed short story, but after I finished the book and began to make notes about what I wanted to say in this post, this was the one story that stuck in my mind despite it being relatively early in the book. Its comments on the nature of relationships, commitment and marriage in particular had me thinking and was a pleasure to read. 
  • A Certain Doorway by Keri Knutson
    This book is very different in comparison to my other choice. Yet I enjoyed it equally, I just really want to read more. I saw the end as a real cliff hanger, defiantly one to look out for. 
  • A Gene Priest by B Throwsnaill
    The topic of this one is defiantly a thorny issue and I think you can tell that by the title. Genetic modification and religion are always a potent mix. Ethical issues up to the hilt and a thoroughly good read. Yet I couldn't help but think: 'I hope this is an accurate prediction of our future'.
The ones I found a bit weird:
  • Wheelchair Fight by Matt Posner
    I didn't really like the action of Fight Club either, so maybe not my cup of tea. This was defiantly a bit weird and I'm sure my face would have been a picture when I finished this short piece. 
  • The Shroudmaker by Angela McConnell
    Really did not see the end of this one coming! I enjoyed reading about the skills of Shroudmaker's but the ending really threw me.
  • Burden of an Innocent Lady by Dwaipayan Regmi
    This was one of the only ones where the writing style was my only hang-up. I felt that the style was just really impersonal and I didn't really connect with it despite its powerful narrative. 

Overall I give the book 4/5 - it is a great collection of short stories for a very reasonable price by I have to admit I did skip some whilst reading.

Don't have a Kindle? Details of the paperback release will be given on Facebook and Twitter soon. 

Thanks for reading, 

Love Rie x

No comments:

Post a Comment